October 20 is Spirit Day. It’s an opportunity to shine a light on and start conversations about LGBT bullying. Wear purple, spread the word among your friends, and speak up when you see bullying.
How can you participate?
Just how extensive is the bullying?
- 74.1% of LGBTQ students were verbally harassed in the past year because of their sexual orientation and 55.2% because of their gender expression
- 56.7% of LGBTQ students did not report experiences of bullying because they doubted an intervention
- 61.6% of LGBTQ students who reported bullying said school staff did nothing
What’s the cumulative effect of the bullying? LGBTQ students who reported gender or sexuality-based discrimination at school
- were more than three times as likely to have missed school in the past month
- had lower GPAs
- had higher levels of depression